Two Wrongs Make a [Far-]Right: The Rise and Success of the Far-Right in Western Europe

Head shot of Mia Eschinger

Name: Mia Villavicencio-Eschinger
Major: Political Science
Advisor: Dr. Michele Leiby

Over the last two decades, there has been a rise in far-right leadership and support, particularly in Western European states. Recent studies have found that this political behavior should have been predicted due to anti-immigrant rhetoric and sentiment and ethnonationalism. In this paper, I research the electoral success of the far-right in Western Europe and argue how it can be related to preexisting anti-immigrant sentiment, the presence of ethnonationalism, and among other racist concepts.

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Posted in Comments Enabled, Independent Study, Symposium 2022 on April 25, 2022.

12 responses to “Two Wrongs Make a [Far-]Right: The Rise and Success of the Far-Right in Western Europe”

1. Angie Bos says:

Hi Mia: This is a fascinating and important study – well done! I loved seeing where your IS ended up after having you in class. Great job! -Prof. Bos

2. Rachel Jones says:

Congratulations Mia!! I’m so proud of you!!

3. Deb Villavicencio-Eschinger says:

Mia,
    Your research is so thorough, and your project as a whole is super impressive! Your months of effort definitely show through. Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment.

4. Alvaro Corral says:

Way to go, Mia! Great project!

5. William M Villavicencio says:

Very proud of you my dear grand daughter, excellent job, papa. Bill

6. Chad Eschinger says:

GREAT work Mia, really thorough and relevant – Congrats!!!

7. Lucie E Villavicencio says:

Great job Mia. Congratulations .

Very proud of you!

8. Carter Schmidt says:

I really enjoyed learning about your project, you did a great job and I can tell you put tons of dedication into your research this year. This is so interesting and relevant today!

9. Brian Luck says:

Congrats on a fascinating IS, Mia!

10. Coco says:

Well done, Mia! I know the work was hard as your work was a strictly social science enterprise —i.e., empirically based. You’ve uncovered much here on the “what is” the Dutch and Danish far right. I wonder if your preliminary findings here are a good springboard for a deeper dive into the “how” and “why” of European far-right thinking. I expect that European states function differently from countries like the U.S., as they are more truly “nation” ( as in cultural/ethnic) states than are more ethnically/culturally heterogeneous states like ours. And given that fact, one has to wonder how deeply embedded all that is in the general European mindset. Ultimately, there is a lot to mine here: the tensions between the concepts of “nation” state, popular sovereignty and ethnicity on the one hand, and currently ascendant ideas of cosmopolitanism and globalism on the other. I really do wonder how the European psychology of cultural/ethnic identity (or “nation”) differs from ours or, perhaps, reacts differently to interaction with “national” “others.” These issues are more than theoretical or academic: they have profound and practical implications for our world. Your work made me think, Mia. That’s what it should do. Great research you did here. Congrats!

11. Gran says:

Great job, Mia! Political Science was one of my favorites in college and it was hard work! JT and I are very proud of all you’ve accomplished. We know you’ll keep it up as you have opportunities in your future.

12. Homepage says:

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: wooster.edu/2022/04/25/mia-villavicencio-eschinger/ […]