Alumni often form special groups around a particular identity, shared area of interest, or career focus. The Office of Alumni and Family Engagement provides active groups with organizational support in an effort to connect alumni with each other and strengthen the global alumni network. Below are active groups that the Office of Alumni and Family Engagement currently supports.
You can request a Window Cling for your Alumni-Owned Business. Designs are available for every Alumni affinity group.
LGBTQIA+Alumni of Wooster
Launched in 2017, this group seeks to build a stronger community of LGBTQIA+ Alumni and Allies through regional gatherings, Alumni Weekend forums, and assembling a multi-generational history of the LGBTQIA+ experience at Wooster. We support Wooster’s current LGBTQIA+ students by collaborating with activities of the campus’ Center for Diversity and Inclusion (such as the annual Lavender Celebration), and helping to secure additional resources to endow scholarships for these students.
Black Alumni Council
The Black Alumni Council (BAC) is an alumni organization whose purpose is to:
- Improve the Black student experience at The College of Wooster.
- Enhance the opportunities available to Black students who attend The College of Wooster, before, during, and after graduation;
- Create a vehicle for on-going communication and interaction among Black alumni.
Legal Alumni of Wooster
The Legal Alumni of Wooster (LAW) develops relationships and fosters connections between the College of Wooster, its students, and its legal alumni and friends. LAW supports the College of Wooster’s pre-law curriculum and programs, promotes the advancement of Wooster’s aspiring lawyers, and provides information and mentoring to Wooster students. LAW also assists and empowers Wooster graduates working in the legal field by connecting them with other Wooster legal alumni and friends. LAW is a partner in the pre-law program’s goals of preparing students to become competent and ethical lawyers.
LAW’s primary goals are to:
- Establish and cultivate relationships between Wooster students and Wooster legal alumni and friends through communications, programs, and services.
- Serve as a complimentary resource and partner to the Office of Alumni and Family Engagement for students and alumni interested in the study and practice of law.
- Identify and motivate alumni volunteers to raise scholarship funds and foster student recruitment at the College of Wooster.
- Support and assist the pre-law program, including the Wooster Moot Court Team.
- Promote and enable communication and networking among Wooster’s legal alumni, and foster a spirit of cooperation, communication and fellowship among alumni through continued affiliation with the college.
- Recognize outstanding achievement by Wooster pre-law students, faculty and legal alumni.
Opportunities to volunteer include participating in Moot Court, mentoring current pre-law Wooster students, and mentoring Wooster graduates.
You can connect online to the Legal Alumni of Wooster LinkedIn group.
Military Alumni of Wooster
Military Alumni of Wooster is an affinity group, founded by recent graduates, that is aimed at connecting alumni serving in the military, supporting on-campus programming, and honoring the College’s long connection to our country’s armed forces.
Do you identify as a member of the Latinx Community?
The Office of Alumni & Family Engagement has received several requests from students to connect with members of the Latinx community. If you are interested in learning more, or connecting with, our Latinx student/alumni community, please fill out the “Join an Alumni Group” form and we will keep you posted of future developments, and ways to engage.
The W Association
The purpose of the W Association is to:
- Support intercollegiate athletics at Wooster.
- Honor alumni athletes who are outstanding in their accomplishments and others who have been outstanding supporters of the athletic program of the College.
The W Association was founded in 1909 and is made up of alumni who received letters as participants in Wooster’s intercollegiate athletic program, and women who participated in intercollegiate sports before varsity women’s sports were established. Associate membership in the organization will be extended to any person who is interested in supporting the intercollegiate athletic program at The College of Wooster.
For more information regarding Alumni Groups, please contact Sharon Rice ’90.
If you are interested in starting a new affinity group, please take a look at these steps to get started (.pdf). If you would like to propose an alumni group, please submit the form below. We will share this aspiring group in an upcoming alumni newsletter to see if other alumni are interested in joining. We will make this an active alumni group with support from the Office of Alumni & Family Engagement if we get 50 alumni to join.
Alumni Group Interest Form
Are you a proud Wooster alumnus and business owner? Stick an Alumni-Owned business window cling in your shop, office, on your work vehicle… wherever you want to show it off!
Choose from the following clings:
- Alumni-Owned Business
- Black-Owned Business
- LGBTQIA+-Owned Business
- International-Owned Business
- Latinx-Owned Business
Submit the form below and we will mail you your selection. When you have it up for all to see, email us a photo or share on social media using #ProudScotOwned.